Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

my knee feels like it needs to pop. Is it dislocated

My knee is stiff. It is not really that painful, just uncomfortable.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 7 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Since how long have you been having this?

Any extra strain recently, like in sports activites or exercise?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been having this for a day. I fell yesterday and I think that is what caused it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there anything i can do to remedy this? Stretches, movement, etc?
This does not seem at like like a dislocation.

It is almost certainly due to the fall, but it does not seem to be anything major.

A popping knee without any other symptoms is generally harmless.

It is caused by the rubbing together of the meniscus, which ahve been subjected to some wear and tear. There would be some slight inflammation of these, which has given rise to the popping.

The only thing that you need to do now is to monitor your knee. Try to see if you have any pain or instability in the knee. The popping should go away in a week or two. If it persists beyond 20 days, or if there are other symptoms, then you need to appraoch a doctor.

During this period, you also should not strain the knee, do not lift heavy weights and try to avoid any strenuous activity like walking too far, etc. You can also tie a stretchable crepe bandage or a 'knee sock' around your knee to give it some rest.

In general, most such episodes are temporary and you can expect yours too to go away.

You can look up here:
http://diet.ivillage.com/workouts/wsafety/0,,849w9fc4,00.html

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the answer. Its not that my knee is popping, it is that it feels like it needs to pop. Full extension and deep squatting (catcher style) are uncomfortable.
It means the same thing.

Dont exercise now, give it rest. This is very important. Also use a knee sock. I am sure you will get relief soon.

Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.