Christy Hammond
Christy Hammond, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Experience:  I have a B.S.N and more than 10 years of training and experience in patient care and education

what makes a man not be able to ejaculate

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Christy Hammond replied 9 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, thank you for trusting us with your question.

If orgasm is acheived, without sperm discharge it is called a dry orgasm. This is typically the result of retrograde ejaculation where the semen is forced back into the bladder instead of out through the penis due to the weakness in the muscles which close off the bladder during ejaculation. This can occur following surgery or other injury on the prostate, bladder removal, radiation therapy in the pelvic area, and as a side effect of certain medications used to treat enlarged prostate, high blood pressure, and some mood disorders. Nerve damage, often secondary to diabetes, MS, or spinal cord injury may cause retrograde ejaculation as well.

This condition is not harmful, but will impede fertility and is therefore not treated except to aid conception.

Anejaculation is the inability to climax or ejaculate. This can be situational or stress related or be a side effect of medication or erectile dysfunction or secondary to diseases such as diabetes or prostate disease. If the man becomes unable to climax persistently, though there is no physical defect, it is called Anorgasmic Anejaculation. This can be very distressing, difficult to talk about and these feelings can make seeking treatment a challenge.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you would like further information on any or all of these conditions.