Dr. M. Lahkar
Dr. M. Lahkar, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD in Radiodiagnosis
5326904

sudden onset of entire body feeling like its burning

sudden onset of entire body feeling like it's on fire, burning skin, no rash, also feels like thousands of tiny pins or needles poking me with spams in limbs, under arms, buttocks, groin,wrists, neck then urge to scratch violently, came on with overcast weather lasted through the night and into today still
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. M. Lahkar replied 6 years ago.
Hi, rick

Can you tell me more about:

Since when are you having it?

Are there any rashes?

Is there any tingling sensation in the limbs?

Im still online for help after you provide me the above information.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I react to barometric changes always but NEVER like this...usually sever headaches swelling behind the eyes, and arthritis flares up vey badly.but this is way differen.......burning feels like pis pricking me, almost like limbs trying to fo to sleep, but extremely painful.had to sit in front of portable heater for relief. No rash yet viloent scratching ...heavy overcast last night, cleared up outside now but won't go away, also now very cold, and the softest "material of clothing painful, plus sitting.also had to keep arms down to my side since onset thank you
Hello Rick, your sumptoms are most likely due to Paresthesia. Abnormal nerve sensations such as pins-and-needles, tingling, burning, prickling or similar feelings are all known as "Paresthesias". They usually result from nerve damage due to pressure, entrapment, or nerve diseases. Continued nerve damage can lead to leg numbness and permanent loss of feeling. Any abnormal sensation needs medical investigation. There are a number of causes for it, You may look up here: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/leg_paresthesia/causes.htm

So, you can discuss with your family physician and try out a few diagnostic tests to get a clue about what you are suffering from.

DIAGNOSTIC TESTS:

Blood Tests:

• Full blood test and ESR
  • Electrolytes
  • Blood glucose and/or glucose tolerance test to rule out diabetes if peripheral neuropathy is present
  • Arthritis screen (including Rheumatoid factor, ANA, ENA and ds DNA autoantibodies)
  • B12 and folic acid levels
  • Thyroid function tests to rule out hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION:

• Feel the pulses in the legs - if reduced or absent should suggest peripheral atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) or obstruction of the abdominal aorta and its branches by atherosclerosis.
  • Examine for a positive straight leg raising test (straightening the leg at the knee while lying on a bed causing pain in thigh, buttock and back) and/or a reduced ankle reflex- indicates herniated disk of L4-5 or L5-S1, lumbar spondylosis, spinal stenosis, cauda equina tumor or spondylolisthesis
  • Examine for a positive femoral stretch test (with the person laying on their stomach, flex knee with hip lifted in extension causes pain in the front of the thigh and the back) or a decreased knee jerk - indicates a herniated disk of L3-4 or L2-3 or lumbar spondylosis.
  • Examine the peripheral reflexes. If diffusely overactive may suggest multiple sclerosis, pernicious anemia, spinal cord tumor, syringomyelia (presence of cavities within the spinal cord) or anterior spinal artery occlusion. If diffusely under active may suggest peripheral neuropathy, poliomyelitis, Guillain-Barre syndrome, cauda equina tumor, metastatic tumor of the lumbar spine and occasionally pernicious anemia or peroneal neuropathy (disease of the peroneal nerve).
An important cause of peripheral neuropathy is diabetes:

DIABETIC OR PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY:

The numbness or the paresthesia ( abnormal sensation ) of the leg is due to nerve damage caused by diabetes, even though the blood sugar level was normal. This is called Diabetic/Peripheral Neuropathy. People with diabetes can develop nerve problems at any time.

Diabetic neuropathy appears to be more common in smokers, people over 40 years of age, and those who have had problems controlling their blood glucose levels. The most common type of peripheral neuropathy damages the nerves of the limbs, especially the feet. Nerves on both sides of the body are affected.

Common symptoms of this kind of neuropathy are :
Numbness or insensitivity to pain or temperature
Tingling, burning, or prickling
Sharp pains or cramps
Extreme sensitivity to touch, even light touch
Loss of balance and coordination.
These symptoms are often worse at night.

You can look up here: http://www.paralumun.com/diabetesneuropathy.htm

I hope my answer is helpful to you.Please press the GREEN ACCEPT button to accept my answer and a positive feedback from you will be an added bonus for me.
Dr. M. Lahkar, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD in Radiodiagnosis