Dr. M. Lahkar
Dr. M. Lahkar, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD in Radiodiagnosis
5326904

Lump in throat and chest/back pain

Customer Question

i HAVE AND THIS LUMP SENSATION IN MY THROAT FOR 18 MONTHS AND ITS ALSO NOW DEVELOPED INTO WIERD TYPE CHEST PAIN. ITS A BIT LIKE GASTRO RELATED ALTHOUGH I'VE HAD AN ENDOSCOPY AND A CAMERA DOWN MY NOSE, ALL APPEARS FINE.

THE PAIN IS BEHIND MY CENTRAL BREAST BONE AND IS THERE ALL THE TIME AT VARYING DEGREE'S.

WHEN ITS REALLY BAD IT RADIATES TO MY BACK OPPOSITE. I HAVE NO PROBLEM SWOLLOWING, BUT I GET THE SENTASATION THAT ALL THROUGH THE DAY THE PAIN GETS WORSE AND THEN GOES ALMOST EVERY FEW MINUTES. ALMOST LIKE HEARTBURN OR WIND, BUT MY GASTRO DOCTOR SAYS TAKE A PAIN KILLER, IF I DID THAT I'D BE TAKING THEM ALL THE TIME.

COULD IT RELATE TO THYROID, ALTHOUGH I HAVE HAD A BLOOD TEST AND ITS APPARENTLY CLEAR???

I ALSO GET A FLUTTERING IN MY CHEST ON A REGULAR BASIS.

I'M NOT IMAGINING THIS OR ANXIOUS ABOUT THIS, BUT IT IS NOW BEGINING TO RUIN MY DAILY LIFE.

THESE PAINS ARE REAL AND I AM NOW LOST TO WHICH WAY TO GO
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. M. Lahkar replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me more about:

Are your stress test and ECG normal?

Do you have the lump in the throat all the time?

Do you have difficulty in breathing during chest pain?

Im still online for help after you provide me the above information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE STRESS TEST AND ECG WERE NORMAL

THE LUMP FEELING IN THE THROAT IS THERE AT VARYING DEGREE'S ALL THE TIME, IT DOES SEEM WORSE WHEN I HAVE A HEAD ACHE, AND IT DOES APPEAR TO BE RELATED TO MY SINUS (THATS JUST MY FEELINGS)

I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEM BREATHING, HOWEVER SOMETIMES WHEN I BREATH IN I GET A FUNNY NOT VERY COMFORTABLE FEELING IN MY THROAT/CHEST.
HelloCustomer Since you have done most of the tests for your chest pain and lump in the throat sensation and the results were mostly normal, I feel that most of the serious diseases like cancer, heart disease etc have been almost ruled out. However, a very common medical cause for your symptoms is called " Cricopharyngeal spasm". It is a syndrome which results from a spasm in the cricopharyngeus muscle. It is a self limiting disorder that will resolve on its own.

Symptoms :

• Lump in the throat sensation
    • feels like a golf ball, tennis ball, fur ball... is stuck in the throat
    • feels like my tie is too tight
    • my throat feels swollen
  • The symptoms can be mimicked by pushing on the cartilage in the neck just below the Adams apple.
  • The lump comes and goes depending on the day.
  • Symptoms are usually best in the AM and worse later in the day
  • Stress aggravates the symptoms.
  • Saliva is difficult to swallow yet food is easy to swallow.
  • Eating, in fact, often makes the tightness go away for a time.
It is felt that it may be due to contraction of the muscle at the top of the oesophagus (gullet), which the individual affected becomes aware of and experiences a lump sensation. This does make sense as the muscle is designed to open only when food or drink is being swallowed, and this may explain why the feeling disappears when a person eats or drinks.
The other possible cause for the problem is thought to be acid reflux coming up from the stomach into the oesophagus making the muscle contract harder than usual to ensure that acid does not enter the delicate lining of the larynx and trachea. This may also cause chest pain or burning sensation. These symptoms are usually relieved with antacids.

An exam of the neck and throat is extemely important to eliminate serious problems.

Medication
  • Valium (perhaps 4 to 10) may provide relief from the symptoms and also prove the symptoms are from muscle spasms. If the symptoms improve after taking the muscle relaxant, then the symptoms are reasonably from a muscle spasm.
  • Injections with a local anesthetic often produce good results.
You may look up here:http://www.ent-consultant-manchester.co.uk/id8.html

I hope my answer is helpful to you.Please press the GREEN ACCEPT button to accept my answer and a positive feedback from you will be an added bonus for me.

Dr. M. Lahkar, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD in Radiodiagnosis
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much.

would this affect my breathing.

I was perscribed 10mg of Amitriptyline once a day, is that similar to valium?
Hi, again. It will not affect your breathing but you may have difficulty sometimes under stressful work ; but you shoud not be worrying much about it. Valium is diazepam and is a drug for calmness. Amytriptyline is an antidepressant. You shoud not be taking valium or Amytriptyline for a long duration, may have side-effects.Thankyou. Im glad that I could help you. Im available at this site if you have any other queries.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Sandra's Post: Do i get that on perscription???

or can i get this at a chemist, i dont think my doctor would be to pleased if i asked for a drug??
YOU WILL SURELY NEED A PRESCRIPTION AS VALIUM IS NOT AN OTC DRUG.