NurseKae, Nurse (RN) and Doula
Experience:  Bachelors Degree Nursing OB/GYN, Sexual Health, Pediatrics, Urgent Care, Family Practice

for a week now. the space in between my toes have been ...

for a week now. the space in between my toes have been itching like crazy. There are no bumps or rash. Also, there is a cut in between my pinkie and 4th toe on my right foot, which i have been trating with hydorgen peroxide. What could be cauing this itching and how can i get rid of it? What caused the cut?
Category: Health
Expert:  NurseKae replied 9 years ago.

It sounds like you might have a fungal infection, or an athlete's foot (known as tinea pedis). This can be picked up from someone else, or from a surface--gym or dorm showers and bathrooms are notorious hot spots for fungi and bacteria. It's not just for sports players or people with poor hygiene-up to 15% of the population is thought to have tinea pedis.

There are plenty of over the counter medications that will numb your foot up to stop the itching, and others that will kill the fungus. Some do both. Lotrimin and lamisil are commonly used.

This can also cause the cracking or cuts between the toes. (here's actually a picture of a pretty bad case )

Be careful, because this can be spread to other parts of your body, such as your groin, armpits, navel, etc. Always wash your hands if you must scratch your feet.

If the meds don't work, then you should see your doctor, as there may be the need for oral medications, or you may have a different skin condition.

I hope I've answered all your questions. If not, please ask and I'd be glad to clarify. You're not expected to pay for an answer until you're satisfied.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the picture you provided resembles what i have. Is it safe to put cream on an open wound like that? Or do i just keep putting alcohol on it?
Expert:  NurseKae replied 9 years ago.

I would not put alcohol on that. Not only will it dry the skin out further, but it can actually damage the skin and make it irritated (as I'm sure you feel when you use it).

Most creams can be applied directly to the cut, because they are medicated-just be sure to check the label of the brand you decide on to see if it warns against applying to open skin. However, if it irritates the cut, you can apply regular bacitracin or neosporin to the cut before the cream is applied to the foot.

It's important to finish out the treatment, because athletes foot can come back easily.

Hope this helps,

Expert:  NurseKae replied 9 years ago.

Please don't forget to accept this answer if I've been helpful. Once you've done this, I can leave you a positive feedback (and greatly appreciate the same).

If you are still confused, please let me know.