Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

WHAT IS LINEAR SUBSEGMENTAL ATELECTASIS OR PARENCHYMAL ...

WHAT IS LINEAR SUBSEGMENTAL ATELECTASIS OR PARENCHYMAL SCARRING? THAT IS SOMETHING I FOUND ON MY CT REPORT BUT THE FINAL WORD WAS THAT IT IS AN UNREMARKABLE CT OF THE CHEST. THERE WAS NO PLEURAL THICKENING, PLEURAL EFFUSSION OR PNEUMOTHORAX. THIS IS ON THE RIGHT MIDDLE LOB. AND THEY SAID THE ESAPHAGEAUS WAS GROSSLY NORMAL WHICH I GUESS IS OKAY.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

Atelectasis is the term where part of the lung fails to expand. As the phrase is liner sub- segmental this sounds like a very small area affected. Parenchymal scarring is where inflammation or infection has caused some damage to the normal lung tissue which has healed thicker than before (bit like a scratch on the skin leaving a scar)

However the overall comments mean that there is nothing on there to cause any concern.

Did you have some lung problems?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
NO I WAS HAVING CHEST PAIN AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE WENT UP. SO THIS AREA WILL NOT AFFECT MY LIFE THEN. COOULD IT HAVE HAPPENED WHEN I HAD SUGERY ON MY GALLBLADDER OR HERNIA
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

Its not something that I would directly relate to your surgery. I would have to see the CT to the location of the scarring. It could be as a result of previous infection, occupational exposure to dust or even heavy smoking.

The other test you might want to request is a ventilation/perfusion scan as this can identify pulmonary embolism which is a source of chest pain that may not be seen in CT.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
SO THIS IS NOT GOING HARM MY LIFE OR SHORTEN MY LIFE
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.
Sorry I was offline last night. The CT scan as it appears at the moment showes no signs of anything that might shorten your life although you may want to keep an eye on respiratory function over the years with some peak flow and other tests. It is important that you do not smoke and if you have any problems with breathing then you get them checked out.