Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

The left side of my body aches the left side of my back and ...

Customer Question

The left side of my body aches…the left side of my back and my left arm, also, the left side of my throat and neck hurt.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Since when have you been having this?

Do you get pain in the nape, ie, back of your neck?

Any tingling sensation in the arms?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: throat hurts on left, upper and middle back hurts, arm and wrist, aching pain

Your symptoms are suggestive of a cervical disc lesion. An aching pain around the shoulder going down the arm on one side, pain on the neck on the same side, are all suggestive of a cervical disc lesion. Most disc lesions are minor and can be handled with simple exercises and neck collars. You should consult your family physician or a neurologist if possible and get yourself checked up, you should discuss about cervical disc lesions with him. You may need a CT or MRI of the brain and spinal column. The pain in the throat is probably of a different cause and you need to consult an ENT for that at a later stage.

There are a number of options to keep the pain of a disc lesion under control:

Physical exercise: Physical exercise is undoubtedly the most important. You will have to do some regular exercises for your neck; this is usually a very successful method. They should be done under medical supervision.

Heat compresses: Heat compresses either superficially with a warm heat pack, or deep heat with ultrasound therapy, should be tried.

Medications: The first line of pain control drugs is the NSAIDS. In severe pain however, not controlled by NSAIDS, narcotic analgesics like Vicodin should be used.

Steroids: steroid injections may be given at the site of the pinched nerve.

Neck support: A cervical collar worn regularly by itself often helps to relieve the nerves. A soft cervical collar can be worn during the day. Firmer collars like the Philadelphia collar may be prescribed by your doctor.

General measures like a firm pillow support during sleep, relaxing your neck from time to time during driving or working on computers, etc. should be tried. Other measures may include vocational counseling, occupational therapy, etc.

Surgery: Surgery of the spine is the last option.

In my opinion, for you, physical exercises, cervical collar, medications and occasionally steroid injections if the pain is too severe will be sufficient to give you a healthy life. You should consult your doctor for these options.

You may consult the links below for more info:

You may consult the link below to see some exercises:

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.