Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

scalp light pink ...

scalp light pink - head tingly and sore on top of had
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 9 years ago.

Do you have any itching?

Any hair loss?

How long have you had this problem?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
my beautician noticed it several months ago and my hair seems to be a little thinner on top of my head but have not noticed any hair coming out. I use color on my hair and I was a little concerned that maybe this could be comething I was allergic too. My scap does not seem to be a lot of itching except when I go a few days without shampooing my hair

A pink color indicates an inflammation of the scalp - either due to an allergic reaction or due to infection of the hair follicles or scalp. The infection can be either fungal or bacterial. Both these conditions will also cause hair loss.

Since you itch when you go a few days without shampoo, I suspect that you have a mild fungal infection - the skin of the scalp tends to shed in flakes in fungal infection causing itching , soreness and inflammation. These flakes of scalp are what is known as dandruff. In a mild case od dandruff, you may not notice any flakes falling off, but piling up of the flakes on the scalp will cause itching.

You will need to use antifungal shampoos containing Ketoconazole, available as Nizoral(OTC). Another good shampoo is called Selsun - it contains selenium sulphide and is quite effective against fungal infections that cause dandruff.

Also take Motrin 500mg after food to decrease the inflammation.

A mild allergic reaction to the hair color can also cause similar symptoms. You can try changing the brand of color and see if that helps.

If the soreness and pinkness of the scalp does not decrease in 1 month, please cosnult a dermatologist.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated