Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

What would cause very stinky urine There are no symptoms ...

What would cause very stinky urine? There are no symptoms of urinary infection, except if beer is drank. If I drink beer, I have discomfort in my private area almost immediately. Otherwise, nothing feels uncomfortable but my urine is incredibly acrid smelling. I stopped using my vitamins for a few weeks to eliminate them. I am taking cranberry pills everyday. I am a regular beer drinker so it is not so great to refrain. But I'm more concerned that the odor means something more. I did have a urinary infection about 1 1/2 months ago but thought that was over after taking the antibiotics.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Urine odor is related to the volume and concentration of a variety of chemicals excreted by the kidney.

Normally, diluted urine doesn't have much odor.

If you're dehydrated and your urine becomes highly concentrated, it can have a strong ammonia smell.

Many foods and medications - such as asparagus or certain vitamins - also can affect the odor of urine.

Most changes in urine odor are temporary and don't indicate serious illness.

Sometimes an unusual urine odor can be associated with an underlying medical condition, such as a urinary tract infection.

Urine odor is related to the volume and concentration of a variety of chemicals excreted by the kidney. Normally, diluted urine doesn't have much odor. If you're dehydrated and your urine becomes highly concentrated, it can have a strong ammonia smell. Many foods and medications - such as asparagus or certain vitamins - also can affect the odor of urine.

Most changes in urine odor are temporary and don't indicate serious illness. But sometimes an unusual urine odor can be associated with an underlying medical condition, such as a urinary tract infection. If you're concerned about the odor of your urine, talk to your doctor.

This might help you figure out the cause:

foul smelling- bacterial infection

ammonia smell= uncontrolled diabetes

musty= liver disease

maple syrup= maple syrup urine disease.

I suggest you get your urine rechecked for infection because you could still have some bacteria present.

Let me know if you need more information.

~Macy