A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have a split in the skin behind my right ear. it has been ...

Customer Question

I have a split in the skin behind my right ear. it has been there for over a year and never heals. I have very dry skin. I put vasaline on the spot to keep it moist. I read somewhere that this is caused by a lack of certain nutrients. Please advise.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

You should have your primary medical provider or a dermatologist look at this area. Any lesion that does not heal in a year's time needs to be evaluated to determine if it is skin cancer. The area behind the ear is particularly delicate and usually exposed to the sun in men. While you are at your doctor's office, s/he can draw labs to determine if you have a nutritional deficiency.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I already new what you told me. I read an article by Dr Jonathan wright that told me about this crack behind my ear. He said I beleive that I needed niacinimide and amino acids, but I have lost the article. This is a common problem with many men my age but few doctors know of it.

If you are talking about dry skin, then it is probably essential fatty acids that he was recommending (omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid). Niacinamide is useful for treating inflammation and preventing onset of type 1 diabetes. Some people apply it to the skin. It is a B vitamin. Here are some links you might find useful. I urge you to have a doctor examine your ear in person. Making a diagnosis yourself based on an article is not prudent where your health is concerned.