Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Does suboxone show up on pre-employment 10 panel drug test

I have a pre-employment drug test 5 days from now. I take about 2-4 mg of suboxone a day. Would that show up if I didn't take it for a day? I've heard that some employers use a 10 panel drug test??
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
Suboxone (buprenorphine) is not one of the drugs typically included in a 10 panel drug test.

IF this drug was prescribed for you, the MRO would report any positive caused by a medication prescribed to you as a NEGATIVE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: I found out in sheet given to me by the employer that they check for amphetamines, cocaine, marijuana, opiates and PCP. Isn't this the standard 5 panel test? I've done research and if I'm right Suboxone won't show.

I don't have a prescription for the suxone. I don't plan on letting the MRO know that I'm taking it.

Would I even come up positive?
Yes - this is the standard 5 panel test. Suboxone will not test positive on this panel.

I should warn you that Suboxone is a prescription drug, and it should NOT be taken without supervision of a physician.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already paid you the 15$ for your reply. I took the test yesterday. Do you mind me asking you how you came to that conclusion?? How are you certain it won't come up positive? I would be more than happy to pay again for your service???
How did I come to this conclusion: I am a MRO (Medical Review Officer), a physician certified in the interpretation of drug tests.

The standard 5 test panel will detect marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines, PCP and the "opiates".

The opiates that will cause a positive on this panel are morphine, codeine, heroin.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: So, suboxone is not a form of morphine, or any of those "opiates" it just acts as an "opiate"? I definitely will not test positive? If you really are an MRO. Then I do trust you.
The opiates which are confirmed with GC/MS (gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy) are codeine, morphine, and 6-acetyl morphine (a metabolite seen only in heroin use)

The synthetic opiates do NOT show up on the standard 5 panel test (as done by the DOT and other federal drug tests)
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)