Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

what is the significance of heavy urine

I recently developed what I think is acid reflux. At the same time my urine has has become heavy and quite dark.

Urine color can reflect various features including dehydration, changes in kidney or liver function or be a side effect from some medication.

It could also be a sign of bleeding into the urinary tract through infection or trauma to kidney. Urine that 'foams' contains protein which can be an infection, or can be a sign of a more serious kidney problem.

Looking at your age then I recommend that you see your doctor tomorrow for a urine sample to look for protein, blood, bilirubin and white blood cells. Depending on the results of that then you may need more tests to get the exact problem.

That could be blood tests, or scans such as CT or ultrasound.