DrNowicki, Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.)
Experience:  >7yrsPrivate practice, gen'l family practice;focus on treating the cause of symptoms w/natural meds

my husband has diverticulitis, why is lettuce, which is a ...

my husband has diverticulitis, why is lettuce, which is a roughage, not good for him? He has alot of problems with not being able to move his bowels, I was always told that roughage & fiber were good for that problem. Thank-you for your help. Shirley
Category: Health
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 9 years ago.

Hi there.

As you probably know, diverticulitis is inflammation of a pouch (diverticula) that forms on the outside of the intestines (usually the large intestine). By itself, this is not a problem. However, if the diverticula becomes infected with bacteria, the pouch can grow and eventually burst. This can create a more systemic infection that can be life threatening. The diverticula can also crowd other organs causing various symptoms or it can cause narrowing of the colon.

Initially it is recommended to be on a low fiber diet to give the colon time to heal. The increased fiber found in leafy green vegetables, nuts, and whole grains can make the colon work too hard and therefore aggravate the symptoms. As the inflammation resolves, more fiber can be introduced to keep the bowels moving.

Your husband may consider drinking additional water (60-70 ounces per day - 8-10 cups) which may help keep the bowels moving. Fish oil, magnesium, and epsom salt may also help. It is important to discuss all treatment options (natural or not) with your husband's doctor before beginning.

I hope you found this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Please check ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my work. Positive FEEDBACK and BONUSES are appreciated.