Don Miller
Don Miller, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Life Flight Helicopter Registered Nurse - Critical Care Paramedic

what is this white film coming out of my anus when i poop

Customer Question

white film
Category: Health
Expert:  Don Miller replied 9 years ago.

Good EveningCustomer!! Smile

I believe that I have some good news regarding your white discharge after a bowel movement. If you are having no other symptoms with the discharge then it is likely a normal and common form of mucus produced by the intestines. This mucus is common in people who suffer from Constipation or Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). As long as the discharge remains symptom free, this is likely the cause. If other symptoms are present or develop, I would discuss the situation with my doctor. Treating the underlying condition may be helpful. Increasing dietary fiber may help clear the existing mucus and decrease the build up of future secretions. Also, making sure that you are getting plenty of water will also help thin the mucus and allow it to clear out. You are taught in Nursing School that water, fiber, and exercise are the keys to good bowel health. Give these things a try and put your fears to rest!

Best Wishes,

XXXXX XXXXX, Registered Nurse, Paramedic