Susan Strong RN MS
Susan Strong RN MS, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of experience as a nurse, nurse educator and family nurse practitioner.
4901381

I HAVE STRINGY MUCUS THAT LOOKS SOMEWHAT LIKE PINWORMS IN ...

Customer Question

I HAVE STRINGY MUCUS THAT LOOKS SOMEWHAT LIKE PINWORMS IN MY MOUTH I FEEL THIS ONE INCH OR SO SLIME LIKE SUBSTANCE IN MY MOUTH WHEN I GET UP TO PEE AT NIGHT IT COMES OUT IN ONE PIECE ONE OR TWO PER DAY I PULL OUT WITH FINGER IHAVE READ THAT THESE WORMS ONLY RESIDE IN YOUR BOWELS PLEASE ADVISE
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Strong RN MS replied 9 years ago.

Pinworms do not reside in the mouth, and you need not fear that this is so. It sounds as though you are having a relatively common problem of dry mouth whereby the mucous lining of the cheeks begins to slough off and can be removed as white strings of mucous. A good treatment for dry mouth is a mouthwash/rinse called Biotene, which is available over the counter at the drugstore. It contains enzymes that are needed in the mouth to aid in the breakdown of food while chewing, and lubricants.

Thank you for writing. If this has been helpful, please leave feedback.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
DEAR S. STRONG
YOUR DIAGNOSIS IS QUITE A RELIEF AND SEEMS LOGICAL AS I DO
GET DRY MOUTH AT NIGHT QUITE OFTEN.THANKS&PEACE
                                         &nbs p;                               STEVE