Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

In detail, what does the acute HIV rash look like, and does it itch

About two weeks ago I had a low grade fever for about a day or two, then I had what felt like a sinus infection, then my thoart got swollen and sore. It went away in about 4 days. No fatigue, no loss of appetite, but my right arm is sore from my hand to my elbow. Then 3-2 days ago I developed all these little red bug bite looking bumps. And they itch like crazy! They started on my lower back, near my behind, and then they spread to my legs and feet (on the top not on the soles). I also had got 3 of the same bumps on my hand, but they healed within a day or two. There arent any bumps on my upper back(other than acne) and there's no bumps on my chest. So, I am very scared I may have contracted HIV, especially because I already have genital herpes and I know that I experience flu like symptoms only the initial time of infection, and that was 3 years agos. So why am I feeling these symptoms again? Is it HIV? It sounds alot like it. Please help me, because I'm going crazy.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for contacting the medical experts at JA,
These rashes that you are describing are not those of HIV,
HIV rashes do not present with intense itching like in your case,
This is more likely an allergic reaction/ contact dermatitis / scabies (a small nicroscopic bug)
The best thing would be to talk to your physician about your concerns and get tested if needed, since only a blood test can truly confirm / negate HIV, since the symptoms are not specific enough for a diagnosis.
However from your description HIV appears unlikely,
Dr. Gupta
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Ok that can put my mind at ease for right now. And a allergic reaction might be possible since I have taken hydrocodone- for the pain due to getting my wisdom teeth pulled two weeks ago. And Amoxicilian for the sinus infection. But I will still attend my doctors appointment tomorrow and get tested, to completely put my mind at ease.
Just out of curiousity, what does the rash usually look like when you first contract HIV?