Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

sister in law has a rash all over body, but not face. So ...

sister in law has a rash all over body, but not face. So much worse over the past few months. Small bumps that look like blisters - very itchy. Been to managed care doctors and emergency room several times. Biopsied areas, no definitive diagnosis. Doctors say no answer. Tried antibiotics and many creams. continuous flareups. Last ditch effort on cortisone pills. Worried if this provides temporary relief, what will happen when she comes off the pills? Her legs are now developing bruises. Could this come from scratching in sleep or is some more mysterious and serious medical problem going on -this being a symptom. Very depressed thinking the answer might never be found. Fair skinned has used tanning booths -no longer. Has Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Stopped smoking hoping it will help. She had breast implants 5 years ago - could it be rejection? Lives in ORegon. Where is best place to get answer? Maybe Standord University dermatology clinic? Please Help! Desperate
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 6 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

How long has she had these rashes?

Has she been tried on any anti-scabies medicines?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try to get this information right now. I am in Connecticut and she is in Oregon. I will try to get in touch with her.
Yes, please try to find this out. Also if she has seen any dermatologists and what they suggested. Did they suggest urticaria? Does your sister in lw have any mental stress or depression?

You can post this info on this thread later.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
more i've learned:
Always remembers having little bumps on body even when young. However, they didn't itch.
First sign of itchy rash started four years ago after having knee surgery the day she got home from the hospital. Rash under breasts and on legs. Rash then flared up this past April in groin area and continued under breasts and along spine. This is where there are varying sizes of blisters. Given steroid cream. Seen by internist thought it was heat rash. Sweating makes it worse. . Rash is everywhere in large patches and now includes the neck and scalp in the hairline.
Scabies has not been mentioned and neither has uticaria. Yes, my sister in law does have stress and depression. She has not been treated with antibiotics as I mentioned earlier, only topical cortisone and now prednisone (pills)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
More information: My sister in law has dogs. I suggested maybe flees. She said her boyfriend doesn't get bites so why would she get bit. I suspect she lays on top of these dogs and on the sofa in shorts. i wonder if flees could be living in the sofa? Is there a way of testing to determine if there are flee bites?

This sounds most like scabies.

Rashes over the whole body but not involving the face are typical of scabies. You should give her this advise and ask her to try out the treatment for scabies.

The main principles of treatment are:

All the people in the family including children and pets must be treated. They must be treated even if they do not have symptoms.

All the clothes must be boiled and washed at the same time.

The method of applying the cream must be strictly followed. For this, you should use a topical cream (Elimite, Acticin) which are available OTC. After stripping completely, you must apply it over the whole body except the face. Then you must put on some light clothes which yu have boiled before. Not just you, everybody in the family must do this at the same time. You have to keep this on for 12 hours. In the meantime, you must wash and boil all your clothes, like towels and all wearing clothes, plus bedsheets, pillow covers, etc. anything which can contain the mites. After 12 hours, take a shower and then again wear clothes which you have boiled before. This must be done with all the people in the family.

Repeat this after two weeks.

All these four principles must be followed.

If this still causes recurrence, even after you have followed it strictly, then you must approach a dermatologist for prescription oral medicines which you have to take.

You should look up here:

http://firstaid.webmd.com/scabies_treatment_firstaid.htm

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.