Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,

when you start dialysis can you ever stop

Customer Question

I've been told by doctors that my kidney function is only 15% and that i absolutely have to have dialysis and that your kidney function won't improve unless I have dialysis. My potassium and creatin levels are very and can only improve with dialysis. I'm wondering once the toxic uric acids and potassium are removed from my system if i change my diet can i stop dialysis
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 9 years ago.

The key will be to watch and see if your kidneys begin to function again. Having dialysis will give your kidneys the opportunity to rest and heal, and there is a chance they will begin to function some again. I've seen several patients who have been able to go off eventually. It all is a wait and see situation.

Your doctors will watch your labs, and see how your kidneys are doing periodically. And if you start producing more urine, that's a good sign that things are improving for you.