Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

I have a bad odor that comes from my nose, a bad smell that ...

Customer Question

I have a bad odor that comes from my nose, a bad smell that comes from my ear if I clean with a qtip after shower, and a strong smell from my mouth that smells like waste, please tell me what is going on.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Do you get this yourself or do others smell it too?

Do you get bad smells from the surroundings or only from your own body wastes?

Any medications for depression or stress?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I get it and others tell me my mouth smells really bad not just like bad breath but worse, if I am sitting in a closed in room after five minutes if some one walks in they will say what is that smell, I take lotrel, lasix and potassium for high blood pressure but nothing for stress or depression.

In most cases, bad body odor is due to excessive sweating and the growth of bacteria. A number of steps can be taken to minimise this. You should consult a dermatologist for this so that appropriate steps can be taken and prescription drugs prescribed.

You should try using deodarants and anti-prespirants. You can look up this site for more info on the steps that yu should take:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sweating-and-body-odor/DS00305/DSECTION=7

Bad mouth smell is called Halitosis. In most cases this is due to bad oral hygeine. You should consult a dentist for this. You should also try Hexidine moth wash, this will help in removing the odor. You can look up here:

http://www.ada.org/public/topics/bad_breath_faq.asp

http://www.saveyoursmile.com/healtharticles/dzbadbreath.html

Diet is also important for body odour. You can look up this site for some info on this:
http://www.newstarget.com/004417.html

For fecal body odour, you can try Vit. K injections. These are prescription drugs. Yu can look up here for a discussion on this:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=186462

You should also consider the possibility that what you are having is a monosymptomatic delusion of unpleasant body odour. Such fears of having unpleasant body odours are called Bromhidrosiphobia.

This is a psychological problem, and I would lke to stress that it does not mean that the person who is having it is 'just imagining it'. This is an actual response of the olfactory system of the body to some stress or other psychological trauma to which the body responds in an atypical way, so that the brain actually experiences this unpleasant odour. In this case, a psychiatrist consultation would be necessary.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the odor is not body odor from sweating but rather odor from my nose and mouth through breathing, what about the smell in my ear?I am not imagining the smell, I have been told this more than enough times to know something is wrong, when I go to the dentist he tells me my gums are healthy with no signs of disease, I went to a ENT doctor who could not find anything, did the ENT doctor miss something in the sinus area?
It is unlikely that the ENT doctor will miss a sinusitis, specially one which is so bad to produce a smell. In fact only very late stages of infections will produce a smell so bad that people can smell it when they come into a room. It is almost impossible that you can be having such an infection and the doctors will miss it. Mouth odor is a possibility, but this again will never be so bad that people coming into a room can smell it.

I would still say that you need to get a psychological assessment for this. Since both the dentist and the ENT say that your gums, nose and ears are healthy, and yet you feel that they are smelling so bad that both you and people coming into a room can smell it, this might possibly be a psychological manifestation.

Besides this, you should take the steps for oral hygiene as given in the sites.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I will not accept this answer, to suggest that I need psychological help from other people's comments does not make sense.
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 9 years ago.

Hello Chuck,

I am sorry to hear of your difficulties, and will try to help.

What do people say the odor smells like? You have said "waste" but can you specify? Rotten fish? Rotten garbage?

Is this smell constant, or does it get worse or better with certain foods/times of day or activities?

Do you have your tonsils?

How is your general health? Aside from this, and high blood pressure, are you healthy? No current illnesses?

Thank you for providing this information,

Sincerely,

Susan

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
They say it smells like rotten garbage or feces, it is a constant smell it gets worse after eating anything and comes from my nose and mouth while breathing out, I do have my tonsils, health is fine aside from high blood pressure about 50 lbs over weight.

Hello Chuck...

Thanks for answering. A few more questions. How are your bowel movements? Normal for you? (and please tell me what that is) IF your bowel patterns did change, did it happen around the same time the bad breath started? Any abdominal surgery?

Thanks,

Susan

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
bowel movements are usually around 2 a day no abdominal surgery.

Hi Chuck...

I dont have a concrete answer for you but I have some ideas. I asked about bowel movements and bowel habbits because an impaction of the bowels can result in some foul smelling breath.

You have tonsils. On occassion, tonsiliths (tonsil stones) can cause some nasty breath odor. IF you have them, and they are visible, you will see them as white "gunk" on your tonsils, in the crypts/holes in the tonsil. You can also have them where they can NOT be seen. They are formed from lymph fluids and foods that can be trapped in the tonsils, and for some people they can be uncomfortable. Other than causing bad breath, they have no ill effects on health. If you crush a tonsilith, the odor is concentrated putrid.

You have been to the ENT, gotten a clean bill of health. That does not mean something wasnt missed. Sinusistis can cause bad breath, as can throat infections. I would choose a second opinion from a different ENT, one NOT in the first ones practice.

I include a link to halitosis (its not one you have seen here) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003058.htm

I also include a link on tonsiliths:

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=568

I hope that helps...

Sincerely,

Susan

Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness