Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

Occassionally, while eating my throat will seize up

Occassionally, while eating my throat will seize up and "close up" if I wait a few minutes and relax it eventually goes back to normal. It is scary when this happens. Perhaps I'm eating too fast? This has just started in the past 6 months.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

What is your age?

Do you have problems swallowing solid food or fluid?

Any pain involved ?

Can you be specific about the location where this happens?

Do you take any medication, or have any medical problems?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am 52 years old. I have no problems swallowing..normally. No pain..just base of my neck. No medicine, no medical problems.
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

If this has become a regular problem then I would suggest you see an ENT for evaluation, it may simply be related to a combination of anxiety and eating rapidly leading to muscle spasm however we would also want to eliminate the possibility of a physical problem such as an enlarged thyroid gland putting pressure on the esophagus.

The location means that it is less likely to be lower esophageal spasm however if you experience heartburn or reflux then you may also want to see a gastro-intestinal doctor for a upper GI endoscopy and pressure testing to look at esophageal sphincter tone.

If you start to experience any problems swallowing liquid then this may indicate a nerve related problem, or a problem from higher up but you do not mention any problems and are quite young to be experiencing any symptoms.

So overall, I am not seeing any warning signs that trigger an emergency visit but I do suggest that you follow it up owing to the long time span.