Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a very visible carotid pulse at the base of my neck.

Customer Question

I have a very visible carotid pulse at the base of my neck. Sometimes it is pulsing quite high up but not always. I don't see it on other people. Is it normal? I am shotr of breath with constant chest pressure but ECG, stress test and PFT's were normal 3 monthes ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.

In some people, especially who are thin or have less body fat, do have visible pulsation of some vessels. Aging also predisposes for this phenomenon.

There is nothing abnormal in this. Your mentioned symptoms also, do not correlate with the finding. If you have family history of abnormal lipid profile (high cholesterol or triglycerides etc) and cerebrovascular accidents, you can get a colored doppler study of carotids.

This will clear doubts about anatomical and physiological dysfunctions like blockage due to atherosclerosis or aneurysm etc.

Please feel free to ask, if you need further inputs.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
This is to the original responding doctor. How can you tell if it is the carotid or jugular? I am paranoid because I had an echo back in May and my pulmonary pressure was 44. A right heart catheterization at that time was normal.

As a matter of fact there is no such artery in the neck called as jugular artery. There are jugular veins. The arteries are carotids. They do give visible pulsation in quite a fraction of population.

There is a small jugular branch in the base of skull entering into jugular foramen, deep deep down, which is very small and invisible.

Your investigation reports seem to be normal. Please remove your unfounded fear.

You are welcome for further queries.