Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

I have blood in my stool with mucus in it I am very ...

I have blood in my stool with mucus in it I am very concered as this has never happened?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 9 years ago.

Id love to help you but need more information...what color is this blood and how much is there?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Susan's Post: bright red and not alot of blood but spratice when I have a bowel movment it is spradic throughout.

Thank you for supplying me with that information. Bright red blood is blood which comes from lower in the intestinal tract, closer to your anus and rectum. As such, it could be caused by hemmorhoids, constipation, or an anal tear (often caused by straining at stool). These three are most likely if you have NO other symptoms besides the blood. Colon polyps and diverticula as well can cause bright red bleeding. Irritable bowel syndrome can also cause bright red blood, but that is typically associated with diarhea and abdominal discomfort. or, what is the most worrisome and least likely in this case, colon cancer.

I know you are worried about it, you are human. Colon cancer would also be associated with changes in your bowel pattern, persistent abdominal discomfort, a feeling your bowel doesnt empty completely, and alot of lethargy. Here is the link to a page on colon cancer to ease your mind:

The intestines naturally produce mucous; it helps to lubricate the intestines and make the passage of stool less rough on them. If you saw ONLY mucous and no stool, that would be a problem. But a little mucous every so often is not a concern.

If the bleeding persists more than a day, it needs to be medically evaluated. Hemmorhoids can be treated, and if the cause is polyps, those do need to be removed as they can grow up to become colon cancer.

Here is a site on rectal bleeding: If you have severe bleeding that wont stop (like a hemmorage) do please be seen immediately.

I hope I was able to help you...