Dr A Gupta
Dr A Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD Internal Medicine, Internist with over 12 years of urgent care/outpatient experience.

I have a rash/ red ring around my anus. It started from ...

Customer Question

I have a rash/ red ring around my anus. It started from some diarreha. I thought at first that it was some baby rash, so I cleaned it and used some moisturizers. It itches and is soar. The itching goes into the anus a little about. I have been using some cortizone cream with 1%hydrocortizone, but nothing is working and I feel extremly uncomfortable asking my doctor and bending over for him to look at my anus. Is there anyway that I can treat this at home? Or what would the doctor perscribe for me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr A Gupta replied 9 years ago.
This is most likely a fungal infection. I strongly advise against using cortizone or any steroid cream.

You may try any antifungal cream like Lamisil and see the response. Use it twice daily for 2 weeks. If no improvement occurs within first few days, you should go ahead to see the doctor. Also you may benefit with Sitz baths with plain warm water and the cream should be applied after the baths.

I hope this helps.