Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

A layer of skin is growing over my vagina over the ...

A layer of skin is growing over my vagina over the clitoris. What is this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Strong RN MS replied 7 years ago.

There is naturally a layer of skin over the clitoris called the clitoral hood. The clitoris is exquisitely sensitive, and when not engorged with sexual arousal lies under this protective skin. The clitoral hood can be pulled back to expose the clitoris. If you believe that what you are seeing and feeling is something different than what I have described, then I recommend you see a gynecologist.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Susan Strong RN MS FNP's Post: No, this is not what I'm asking. I understand about the clitoral hood but this is additional skin and I cannot even move it to expose the clitoris, it is very sore and it appears my clitoris has recessed inside and is very hard to achieve orgasm without the skin splitting and bleeding. Have used clobetosol on and off for over two years and it still does not help relieve the tightness and dryness.

Now that you have described this overgrowth of skin, I understand. For how long has this overgrowth been present? Have you seen a doctor for it? Who prescribed the Clobetosol? Clobetosol should not be used for longer than two weeks at a time, and not on mucous membrane as it will cause thinning and dryness.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Susan Strong RN MS FNP's Post: The overgrowth has been there for about 2 years and I have been treated with clobetosol being told to use it for six weeks then stop and use every second day which was prescribed by my gynecologist. I am still plagued with the dryness and feel and see my skin splitting at every sexual encounter. I am desperate to find some realistic answers to this ongoing problem and don't know who to turn to now.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 7 years ago.
Susan asked me to review this question:

What did your gynecologist give as a diagnosis or cause for this growth?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: I can't remember the technical term, she referred to a medical publication. She said "Oh you just have old lady vagina". I will not be going back to her as I was not impressed with her bedside manner but I want to pursue further diagnosis even if it means doing my own research which is why I decided to try this website.
There are a number of things this could be. Based on the term used by your physician - I would consider atrophic vaginitis as the most likely diagnosis. This is most often treated with estrogen creams.

Another possibility would be vulvar dystrophy - also treated with creams - steroid or testosterone cream.

I would suggest making an appointment with another Ob-Gyn (one who seems more caring)
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years