Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

What are the ingredients in the shingles vaccine I have ...

What are the ingredients in the shingles vaccine? I have severe allergies and need to figure out if it is a safe medication for me. Thimerasol (sp?) is a big issue as are tree nuts and anaphlaxis to any sesame product. Thanks for your help. marymarie
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.

Shingles vaccine is live attenuated vaccine, so it contains the shingles or herpes zoster virus. I have given you a link of vaccine manufactured by the merk:

http://www.zostavax.com/select-safety-information.html

Please see one more link related tp prescribing information:

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/z/zostavax/zostavax_pi.pdf

I have copied you the relevant text from that above link for your benifit. It does not contain the things you have mentioned. Please see beloww:

ZOSTAVAX is a lyophilized preparation of the Oka/Merck strain of live, attenuated varicella-zoster virus (VZV). ZOSTAVAX, when reconstituted as directed, is a suspension for subcutaneous administration. Each 0.65-mL dose contains a minimum of 19,400 PFU (plaque-forming units) of Oka/Merck strain of VZV when reconstituted and stored at room temperature for up to 30 minutes.

Each dose contains 31.16 mg of sucrose, 15.58 mg of hydrolyzed porcine gelatin, 3.99 mg of sodium chloride, 0.62 mg of monosodium L-glutamate, 0.57 mg of sodium phosphate dibasic, 0.10 mg of potassium phosphate monobasic, 0.10 mg of potassium chloride; residual components of MRC-5 cells including DNA and protein; and trace quantities of neomycin and bovine calf serum. The product contains no preservatives.

Please feel free if you need further information.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I also allergic to neomycin...I don't know why I am so sensitvie to so many things...it makes it very difficult to trust medications and foods.
The vaccine contains traces of neomycin. So you should be very cautious using it.