Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

My clitoris has shriveled up! Is this clitoral atrophy? and ...

My clitoris has shriveled up! Is this clitoral atrophy? and what can I do to restore my clitoris to its normal size?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 7 years ago.

Do you still have regular periods?

Are you sure that the citoris is shrivelled? Is the size smaller than before? How much smaller?

Or do you have less sensations than before?

Do you have any itching, pain etc?

When did you notice that your clitoris is shrivelled?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: Yes, my periods are regular. About 3-4 weeks ago I noticed that I was unable to achieve an orgasm without a lot of attention and they had become very weak. A week ago I noticed that my clitoris had shrunk so small that you could barely find it. And yes, I would say that it is a bit uncomfortable, but not itchy or painful.

The reason I asked about your period was that the clitoris can get shrunk only if the level of estrogen decreases in the body, as in menopause. But since you have regular periods, that can be ruled out.

I suspect that more than the clitoris having shrunk, it is likely that the hood of the clitoris is slightly inflamed and hanging over the clitoris so that the clitoris appears shrunk. This does happen occasionally, especially if you have a vaginal infection of some sort. A vaginal infection will also decrease sensitivity and will affect orgasm.

You need to take the following steps to decrease the inflammation:

- Take a warm hip bath. This means that you need to get a large bowl, large enough for you to sit in. Half fill it with warm water and add 3 capfulls of Betadine solution (available OTC). Sit in this solution 2 times a day.

- Apply Neosporin or Bacitracin ointment over the area twice a day..

- Use Monistat 7 tablets as well as gel to cure any superadded fungal infection.

- Take Motrin 500mg (OTC) twice daily after food for 5 days to decrease any inflammation and infection in the vagina

If the infection is mild, these steps may cause the inflammation to subside. But if there is no improvement in 7 days, please see your doctor.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It doesen't seem to be inflamed. I did an exam in the shower and frankly it is the size of a very small pea. Can the clitoris recede?

No, the clitoris cannot recede. The only time it gets smaller in size is when it fails to get enough estrogen, as in menopause.

I still feel that you should go in for the steps I outlined above - especially since you say that you find it a bit uncomfortable, although there is no pain.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: I will follow your advice. I'm sure you are right, I just have never had my body go into reject before. I was just asking to be sure before I closed My question.

I hope you get better soon.