Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal

Pain In The Upper Right Side Of The Chest.

I have moderate chest pain on the upper right side of my chest that worsens when I breathe.

Do you have any idea why it is happening?

The fact that it’s worse when you take a deep breath usually means its musculoskeletal-rib or muscle strain. Cardiac disease usually manifests on the left but can radiate to the right.

Other possibilities include gallbladder disease, usually worse with fatty meals.

Since nothing is 100% you need to see your doctor for an EKG and blood work to rule out the above.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Actually it worsens not when I take a deep breath but when I breathe out (even a small breath). And most of the time it is just a dull pain that I have had every day for the past 3 months or so and seems to get worse by the day. I am afraid to go to the doctor especially if it is something minor since my husband’s insurance does not have good coverage.

Since this has been going on this long and is worse with exhaling you do need to see a doctor to rule out gallbladder disease.

Even though this may be more than you want to spend you’ve given it some time and if it hasn’t gone away gallstones and gallbladder dysfunction can lead to infection that can cause more imminent problems.

Does this happen more after a meal or when you lay down at night?

Is it persistent?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

The pain is there all the time I don't notice it any worse after food but when I lie down it is harder to breathe. I at first thought it might be my gallbladder but it does not seem consistent with the standard symptoms that I found online. Occasionally the pain spreads to my shoulder and down my right arm. I found online that heart attacks are primarily with pain on the left side.

This does not sound like your gallbladder to me which is why I did respond to your post when I saw the answer you were given and wanted to give my consult.

This sounds like you may have some inflammation in your chest that can be consistent with chest wall pain and will cause pain even with breathing and can take 6-8 weeks to subside. With this it takes using Ibuprophen for the inflammation and warm compresses as well to heal this as well as not lifting anything that could put any undue stress on your chest wall.

The other possible causes could be GERD. This is due to a buildup of acid in your digestive system and I would suggest since it does seem worse when you lay down then you should also add some Prolosec OTC to see if this does help it reduce.

I would try these things first as this does not sound like gallbladder issues or cardiac related issue but more consistent with the chest wall pain and GERD.

Please try these suggestions above and see if this helps lessen the pain you are having.

Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience: Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal