Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

My blood pressure has been 153/111, 165/110,146/110 with ...

Customer Question

My blood pressure has been 153/111, 165/110,146/110 with pulse rate around 90,resting. I went to the E.R. and they took ekg,blood tests and chest x-ray that all turned up within normal limits. Went to my heart Dr. on Monday and he gave me Maxide 1 a day and told me to return in 1 week. I have had no relief with my B.P. still the same. No one seems like this is out of the ordinary but I feel nervous and very out of sorts. I have a call in to my Dr. again this morning but no answer yet. Am I being overly worried? I think he should have given me something immediately to help bring down my B.P. to a reasonable rate. Please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 7 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Since how long have you had this high BP?

Have you been taking medicines from before for this?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been a patient of a heart Dr. for 4 years and from time to time he had given me Maxide because my B.P. has sometime been slightly high. Managable. But this high B/P shot up last week. That's why I went to the E.R. It has never been this high before now. Never have taken anything else beside Maxide.

It is understandable for you to be worried if this is the first time that you have got BP this high. But 146/110, although is a high BP, is not really that high. You need not get worried about this, specially since you are already receiving treatment for this. The maxide should work again, although there is a likelihood that it might not be as effective as before in which case you might need another medicine. It is normal procedure for your doctor to try out a waiting period for this medicine and see if it helps you. Only by giving it some time to have its full effect can he be sure as to whether it is working or not. Your BP is not that high that it needs to be brought down immediately. SO my opinion is to go along with the doctor's advise, he is treating you quite professionally and according to normal medical practice.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you - I will try and be a better patient and be more patient! It makes me feel better to know I'm not in immediate danger.