Doctor
Doctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD Family Medicine
714652

I have increased soreness in my tailbone (cocsys) ...

I have increased soreness in my tailbone (cocsys) area. I did not injure it. This has persisted over the last months. I am 48 year old male in good health. Is there a likely casue for this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor replied 7 years ago.
Inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks is referred to as coccydynia. Coccydynia is associated with pain and tenderness at the tip of the tailbone between the buttocks. The pain is often worsened by sitting.

Coccydynia is commonly diagnosed based solely on the symptoms and the examination findings of local tenderness.

Coccydynia is often caused by an injury, but may occur seemingly spontaneously. There are many causes of tailbone pain which can mimic coccydynia, including sciatica, infection, pilonidal cysts, and fractured bone.

Patients with coccydynia are advised to use a well-padded seat when sitting and avoid long periods of sitting as possible. If the condition becomes severe or persistently troublesome, then medical attention should be sought to accurately evaluate the cause of the pain.

Rest, avoiding re-injury to the affected area, anti-inflammation and pain medications can relieve symptoms. Some patients with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection. This injection is simply performed in the doctor's office and can potentially dramatically relieve the pain and even resolve the symptoms for many. Rarely, when patients have unrelenting pain, a surgical resection of the coccyx can be performed to remove the irritated bony prominence.
Doctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD Family Medicine
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Padmaja Naik's Post: I read about accute and chronic prostatitis causing pain in the pelvic area. Shoukd I be concerned that this might be the problem? The pain is actually more focus on teh tail bone so your diagnosis seems accurate.
Expert:  Doctor replied 7 years ago.
The symptoms are similar for all types of prostatitis, with the exception of acute prostatitis and asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis. In the acute form of the disease, symptoms are severe, come on suddenly, and include fever and chills.

Signs of the chronic forms of prostatitis may be milder and come on gradually over weeks or months and may include:

1)A frequent urge to urinate, although you may pass only small amounts of urine.
2)A burning sensation when urinating (dysuria).
3)Difficulty starting urination, interrupted flow, weaker-than-normal urine flow, and dribbling after urinating.
4)Excessive urinating at night (nocturia).
5)A sensation of not completely emptying your bladder.
6)Pain or discomfort in your lower back, in the area between the testicles and anus, in the lower abdomen or upper thighs, or above the pubic area. Pain may become worse during a bowel movement.
7)Pain or vague discomfort during or after ejaculation.

Please hit the accept button if you agree with the answer.