Susan Strong RN MS
Susan Strong RN MS, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of experience as a nurse, nurse educator and family nurse practitioner.
4901381

can strep throat cause pink eye

Customer Question

I have strep thraot but also I got pink eye in both eyes.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Strong RN MS replied 9 years ago.

The germ that causes strep throat and that which causes pink eye or conjunctivitis is not the same. Pink eye is caused by a virus or bacteria. The viral kind does not respond to an antibiotic for the eye, whereas a bacterial cause does. Commonly, the bacterial kind of pink eye causes matting of the eyelids and drainage. Please see your doctor for an evaluation and proper treatment.

Be careful that you do not rub your eyes or get the fluid from the eyes on your hands, as the infection can be spread to others by them coming into contact with the fluid or drainage and then rubbing their eyes. Warm moist compresses to the eyes will relieve some of the discomfort until you can see your doctor.

Your question is excellent. Thank you for writing. Please leave feedback.