A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Can a concussion cause extreme chills

I think I hit the back of my head last Tuesday 8/14/07. It didn't hurt much at first so I dismissed it. That night I had extreme chills for several hours and could not get warmed up. We were on vacation at that time; we just got home tonight. I've experienced chills several times since then, but not nearly as bad as that first night. I've also had some neausea and loss of balance. The last couple days I've had throbbing pain in the back of my head on the right side that causes me to wince every minute or two. Do I need to see the doctor ? If so, how soon? My regular doctor won't be in the office now until Monday 8/20/07. What can I take to ease the pain? I've tried Aleve and it didn't seem to help much. Please let my know if this could be a concussion, or whatever it is and what I should doe about it. Thanks!

I think you should go to the ER to make sure you aren't bleeding into your brain causing the headaches. Your symptoms are all most likely the result of a concussion. It is better not to take any medications until you can be checked out by the doctors. If you would feel more comfortable you could call your doctor's emergency number and discuss it with him or her, but I think the safest thing for you is a checkup at the ER tonight. At the very least they would be able to give you some serious medication, strong enough to take care of the pain until you see your doctor Monday.