Dr Amit Munjal
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae
1189392

I have this bad taste in my throat when I swallow. I ...

Customer Question

I have this bad taste in my throat when I swallow. I thought it was from a sinus infection, but went to the doctor this week for that and it is not the cause, but I only get this bad taste when I swallow. I have tried saline solution trying to dry up whatever it is. Do you have any ideas of what may be the cause or what this may be? And if so, how to get rid of this annoyance. I am very aware of bad breath, etc. and I am afraid to talk to anyone for fear that this may be causing mine to be foul. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Amit Munjal replied 7 years ago.

Post nasal drip can cause bad taste in the throat apart from that feeling of mucus in the throat .Sinusitis is the common cause of post nasal drip but apart from that acid reflux can also cause PND .

If their is associated acid reflux then you should try to treat this underlying cause .

Trapped food particles between the teeth, tooth decay can cause foul odour.So it is important to maintain a good oral hygeine and since you have problem with bad breath a dental check up should also be considered apart from maintaining good oral hygeine .

Also taking some medicines like metronidazole etc can also cause bad taste in mouth .

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr Amit Munjal's Post: I visited the dentist thinking this could be the problem and found that this was not the problem. I failed to include that in the things I have tried. They found nothing wrong with my teeth and/or mouth.

Acid reflux , Dryness in the mouth , problems with tonsills are some of other condition which may cause bad breath .

Drink plenty of water .

Brush twice a day .Also tounge cleaning should also be done appropriately. Use of mouth wash should also be considered .Avoid smoking and alcohol .

Also some times GIT related problems like constipation can cause bad breath .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr Amit Munjal's Post: This is not a problem with bad breath, this is a problem with a bad taste when I swallow. As long as I am breathing normally everything is fine, but when I swallow I will get this bad taste in my mouth. I was just wanting to know where this might be coming from or what is the cause and how to get rid of it.

Post nasal drip and acid reflux can be a possibility .

Some medications are also responsible for this symptom .

Check this link for a detailed list of possible causes

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/bad_taste_in_mouth/causes.htm