D. Baron, MD
D. Baron, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician with 27 years of experience.

My right hand shakes more than my left, what causes the ...

My right hand shakes more than my left, what causes the shaking, why does my right hand shake more, and what can I do about it?
You probably have benign familial (essential) tremor. You should be evaluated to make sure you're not hyperthyroid. Beta blocker medication like Inderal or Lopressor is effective in treating essential tremor if you desire treatment. You need to consult your doctor about the problem. Alcohol usually abolishes the tremor as well, but that would provoke other health problems.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to D. Baron, MD's Post: If it is Essential Tumor is treatment necessary? You said if I desire treatment for it, so I am curious.
Treatment isn't really necessary. If the tremor bothers you or interferes with your life, it can be treated. Sometimes, titubation of the head is part of essential tremor. Katherine Hepburn had essential tremor and her titubation was pretty obvious in her later films.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
One last thing, is there a reason my right hand is affected more? Is it because I'm right handed, or is it random?
It's probably just random. It's not necessarily symmetrical.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you very much
You're welcome and good luck.