Amy
Amy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years health care experience
3132052

I have a tingling feeling at the tip of my penis.

Customer Question

I have a strange tingling feeling in the tip of my penis. there is no mark, redness, or sore whatsoever. it doesnt really hurt just kind of irritating. there is a slight burn when i pee aswell. Should i be worried about this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Amy replied 9 years ago.

It sounds like you should go to the doctor for an evaluation. This could be a sexually transmitted disease or a urinary tract infection. Both of which can be easily treated with antibiotics.

I advise to to avoid sex until tested at your doctors office and also to check with any of your sexual partners if they had any symptoms.

Amy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 7 years health care experience
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I highly doubt it is an std... how quickly would that show up if it was im talking months since any contact and even that was only oral... I am experiencing slight tightness in the testicle area also... This is kind of concerning me should it?
Expert:  Amy replied 9 years ago.
STD's in men often times have no symptoms or may have a delayed response, so this would not be unusual. Any kind of testicle pain is concerning. You may also have something called epididamitis which is also easily treated with antibiotics. You really need to go to the doctor for an evaluation and treatment.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thanks very much. I did go to the Doctor and she did a urine analysis that showed an infection. She seems to think a UTI or bladder infection or possibly a prostate infection. She prescribed Cypro i believe. Does that make sense or should i worry further?

Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.

Urinary tract infections do produce symptoms such as you describe, and Cipro in one of the preferred medication.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Last question... if it showed up on a urine test right away it probably isn't an std right....????? Please say yes cause it was a 1 time stupid thing 2 months ago.

Thanks again
I would like to reassure you, HOWEVER, if you had an unprotected sexual encounter 2 months ago, you should be tested for STD's including HIV and chlamydia since these STD's can be completely asymptomatic.

The symptoms you are experiencing are indeed likely to be related to the urinary tract infection - but you do need tested.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: Ok i feel a bit better. Like i mentioned above it was a 1 time deal and it was oral not intercourse. It was unprotected however i didnt see any sores on her or me. Was dumb and will never happed again. She also claimed to have been tested. Like i said dumb anyhow. Will the urine analysis that the doctor is sending to the lab for further tests show if it is a uti or whatever else?
NO - a simple urinalysis and culture will NOT exclude STD's. You need to speak with your doctor about this incident, and request specific testing for STD's
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Is it possible that an std or something is what showed the infection on the test or is it fairly likely that it is the uti or prostate infection.... (my brother had a prostate infection 3 weeks ago and had all the same symptoms im having.

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

It is far, far more likely that a UTI or prostate infection caused the urine test to be positive for bacteria. You should still ask your MD for STD testing, but this particular problem is more likely urinary or prostate given the circumstances.

Prostatitis can be caused by a number of different microorganisms - primarily the same ones responsible for urinary tract infections - although chlamydia may also cause this condition.

I suspect that your symptoms are related to the UTI that has been treated - HOWEVER, you still need screened for STD as a precaution.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you all very much. I will sleep much better now. i will still ask my doctor for testing at my nexy physical in 2 weeks however I am very confident that i will be ok. This is a great site and I truely thank you all for your help!!

You're welcome - Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

After the urine analysis went to the lab it has I am now told I do not have a bladder infection. What does this mean for me? I have been having a slight bit of pain around my kidneys and lower back? I still have discomfort in the area of my prostate and have a frequent urge to urinate. This all started after a night of heavy drinking could that be the cause. My doctor is away for 2 weeks and this is really concerning me. I will get tested but I am very worried. Would the urine analysis at the lab have shown if it were certain sti's? or what could be the cause of the initial test showing infection and the lab showing none?

The initial test likelly showed an increased number of white blood cells (WBC) in the urine - suggesting an infection. Sometimes, the bacteria are difficult to grow - particularly if the infection is in prostate.

I would suggest continuing the antibiotic as prescribed. If your symptoms do not start to improve within 3-4 days, then you should get rechecked.