Walter
Walter, Just Answer Health Expert
Experience:  Medical Expert with Just Answer 3+ years.
997364

Yellow Vomit

What does it mean when you throw up yellow? I have never done that before. I am guessing that it is stomach bile, but is it normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Yes it is normal and not uncommon to vomit yellow bile. This is irritation to the stomach lining....often occurring when the stomach is very upset or you have nothing in your stomach.

You are going to need to stay on a bland diet for the next 24 hours or so. Crackers, Boiled Chicken, Rice Breads are all fine. Stay away from anything spicy or flavorful such as salt, spices, fast foods, dairy, etc.

Keeping hydrated is the biggest issue as dehydration occurs fast and can make you feel even worse then you do now. You can keep hydrated by drinking Gatorade, poweraid or even Pedilayte as these will replaced the electrolytes you are losing with the vomiting.

Make sure you stick to the bland foods until you have stopped having vomiting for at least 6-12 hours then slowly reintroduce them into your diet. Stay clear of spicy or greasy for at least 24 hours regardless.

Walter

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I haven't been able to keep much in me for the bast 5 hours or so. I can't even keep water down. How do you know when you are dehydrated? b/c i am not only vomiting, but i also have the diarrhea.I don't think i am getting enough fluids b/c for the past few days, i have only peed like 3 times each day, which isn't very much.
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Here are the signs of dehydration:

Mild Dehydration: Thirst, dry lips, dry mouth, flushed skin, fatigue, irritability, headache, urine begins to darken in color, urine output decreases

Moderate Dehydration: (call a medical professional): All of the signs of mild dehydration, plus: skin doesn't bounce back quickly when pressed, very dry mouth, sunken eyes, output of urine will be limited and color of urine will be dark yellow, cramps, stiff and/or painful joints, severe irritability, fatigue, severe headache

Severe Dehydration: (call emergency number): All of the signs of mild and moderate dehydration, plus: blue lips, blotchy skin, confusion, lethargy, cold hands and feet, rapid breathing, rapid and weak pulse, low blood pressure, dizziness, fainting, high fever, inability to pee or cry tears, disinterest in drinking fluid.

Keeping fluids down is very important right now. Try drinking in small amounts.....sipping your fluids every 10 minutes or so. If you are unable to keep them down and start experiencing signs of dehydration get to a doctor asap for intravenous fluids.

Please do not forget to click accept if you are happy with my answers so I receive credit.

Walter

Walter, Just Answer Health Expert
Experience: Medical Expert with Just Answer 3+ years.