Doctor_Manju
Doctor_Manju, Physician & Gynaecologist
Experience:  Medicine Consultant .Well experienced in Emergency &Gynae
3059404

I have a rash that started in the base of my hairline and ...

I have a rash that started in the base of my hairline and also as a small patch on the back of by forearem right above my left elbow. This was about six weeks ago. Since then, it has gradually spread to every other part of my body. It is looks like small red pimples, some time as clusters, others are single raised bumps and is extremely itchy. It gets worse when I work out and sweat.   I am a 48 year old female in otherwise good health. I have seen a general practice physician and he did not believe it was scabies. I am also married and my husband shows no signs of this rash.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor_Manju replied 9 years ago.

Hello

Is there any scaling of skin?

Any layers,white scales are there?

Are you taking any medication?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
There is no scaling or layers. I am not on any medication. Also, I forgot to mention, I have not changed any soap, detergent, perfumes, shampoo etc. Nor have I changed my diet.
Hello

The symptoms you have described are suggestive of Dermatitis.A hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) occurs in the skin, causing inflammation. The inflammation causes in the skin red & itchy bumps.Exposure to environmental irritants can worsen symptoms, as can dryness of the skin, exposure to water, temperature changes, and stress.

Following will help: While washing or bathing, keep water contact as brief as possible and use less soap than usual.Apply Calamine lotion on body and take tablet citrizen 10mg once a day.Also apply cream containing hydrocortisone on the raised bumps..Take tab Mortin 400mg twice daily.. This will reduce inflammation of bumps.All these medication is availaible at counter.If this still persists, then you may require prescription medication from the dermatologist.

Any more help.............

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If this is dermatitis, wouldn't it have started all over my body originally instead of appearing gradually? Also, what is citrizen?

Dermatitis is a wide term & it is of diffrent types like Allergic contact dermatitis,Atopic, Dyshidrotic dermatitis,Lichen simplex and many other & its not like that it always spread at once on whole body.It can also start gradually & then spread to whole body.Also when you will take the medication,it will not dissapear at once from the whole body,it will subside gradually from certain parts of body & then from whole body.Citrizen is anti histaminic & drug of choice for dermatitis.It is availaible at counter.

Hope this helped.

Let me know if there is any thing else you would like to know..........

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your help....I had to get off line because we went golfing so I wasn't able to reply to your final answer. I will try your recommendations, but even today it has spread further.....also, one other weird thing....on my shoulders, it appears as raised white bumps under the skin, also very itchy...is this also dermatitis? I'm sorry I'm taking so much of your time.

Ok

Your disease is spreading all over the body.Yes,this can also be dermatitis.I advice you to start the medication soon so that it could be stopped right over here.All the medication I had adviced you in previous post are availaible at counter.

Please press "GREEN ACCEPT" button if you are satisfied. A"BONUS"
given is highly appreciated or let me know if there is aything else you would like to know.
Thanks XXXXX