Susan Strong RN MS
Susan Strong RN MS, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of experience as a nurse, nurse educator and family nurse practitioner.
4901381

the head of my penis is discolored, its white/purple around

i've only had sex one time but didnt use protection... that was about 6 months ago,and i started getting symptoms about a month ago.the head of my penis is discolored, its white/purple around the rim and the rest of the head is mostly red with brown splotches.... the shaft doesnt feel like it use to, it kind of feels like its not getting enough circulation or something.. i've been to the doctors twice, they both did the cotton swab test, both tests negative... im really going crazy over this, please help!
Category: Health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Susan Strong RN MS replied 7 years ago.

Hello dane,

How did your symptoms start and then progress?

What did the doctors say about the condition of your penis?

Are you having difficulty urinating or having an erection?

Has there been any trauma such as excessive handling?

What have you tried already to help the penis to feel better?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Susan Strong RN MS FNP's Post: well i guess my symptoms started when i noticed a round, pale discoloration on the left side of my glans.A few days later, the appearance of the glans started to change from a smooth healthy color to a wrinkly/dry redder color, but didnt feel like it was dry or anything. it was also pretty sensitive to the touch. I thought it might be some sort of minor fungal infection so i got some clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate cream and applied that for about a couple weeks. The wrinkly appearance has seemed to diminish a little, but i still have the discoloration on the left side of the glans. The rim of my penis has also since changed color, its a light purple color and there seems to be a couple little dark purple veins running along the side ... I'm sorry if this description is a little confusing, but im not a very good writer... Do you think i should keep applying the cream or go see a dermatoligist?

Hello dane,

Your description is quite helpful. This does not sound like a fungal infection or an STD. Whether or not you choose to go to a dermatologist at this point depends on your level of discomfort. I recommend you stop the clotrimazole/betamethasone and switch to hydrocortisone cream 1% which is available at the drugstore. Apply a light layer 4-5 times a day. If it is working, you should be able to notice improvement within 5 days, then continue the cream for several days past the time it appears to have healed completely.

To ease your mind, you might go ahead and make an appointment with the dermatologist and use the hydrocortisone cream until you can see this physician.

I hope this has been helpful to you. Please leave feedback.

Susan Strong RN MS, Nurse
Experience: 35 years of experience as a nurse, nurse educator and family nurse practitioner.