Dr Amit Munjal
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae

If my wife has a yeast infection and we have sex, is

My wife and I had sex (unprotected...she's on the pill) three nights ago. The next morning I noticed my penis was very red and itchy. The following day, the reddness had spread even up into my pubic hair in front (but not on my scrotum), and my penis had become quite swollen. Today, day 3, there is no change. Is it possible that I could have contracted from my wife a fungal infection, thrush or something similar, causing this red, itchy and swollen penis? If so, is there a topical cream that can treat this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Amit Munjal replied 9 years ago.

Males can contract yeast infection from female partners .

The symptoms you describe are suggestive of Balano -Posthitis .

In your case both partners should be treated to prevent recurrent infection .

Topical antifungal creams like clotrimazole can be prescribed to you .

But with such wide spread infection i would suggest a physician consultation and you

may also need antifungal medicine orally like fluconazole .

Other then that you can do warm compression with isotonic saline to reduce inflammation .

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Just a couple of follow-up questions. Please describe balano-posthitis. Is it a yeast infection, fungal or, God forbid, an STD?? How would my wife have gotten this? Is it easily passed on to your partner? We also each performed oral sex, but have not contracted any symptoms other than on my penis. Should I be concerned that something further may occur due to oral sex?

Balano - Posthitis - Balanitis is an inflammation of the glans of the penis and posthitis is inflammation of the foreskin .

Since from fungal infection penis has become inflammed .

Causes of yeast infection in females

As such there is a risk of oral thrush from such exposure but chances are usually less.

But you should examine your throat to look for any signs ( whitish creamish lesions in the mouth and tounge)