V. Yetimyan   M.D.
V. Yetimyan M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Physician for 20 years with experience in hospital patient care.
616192

What causes Heavy Legs (not weight related),

What causes "Heavy Legs" (not weight related), just heavy when walking to the point of aching. Rest seems to help but any activity seems to bring it on again.
Category: Health
Expert:  V. Yetimyan M.D. replied 9 years ago.

How long this aching in the legs has been going on ?

How much walking can you do without getting ''Heavy legs" ?

Did you see a doctor ? Did you have any tests done?

Do you have any medical illness? Do you take any medication ?

Please answer the above questions so i may better assist you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This is a constant. I walk daily- usually 1/2 to 3/4 mile with my dog. I golf with a cart and play doubles tennis once a week.

The syndrom is more severe and constant when I exercise more than one day in a row.

sleep and rest do not seem to help unless I literally lay around for two days, only then do I show improvement.

I do take a number of meds for Coronary disease and suffer from type 2 diabetes. I take 15 mg of actos daily for that. My fasting blood sugar today was 128.

I do suffer more from constant fatigue than I feel I should.

I have an appt with my cardiologist next week but these leg syndromes have existed for years.

Your past medical history and your symptoms suggests that you may have Peripheral Arterial Disease causing impaired blood circulation to your legs. You need to see a Vascular Surgeon who can order some tests for your legs including an arteriogram of the legs. To read more about it please click the links just below:

http://www.vascularweb.org/_CONTRIBUTION_PAGES/AVA_Screening/AVA_Patient_Information/Peripheral_Arterial_.html

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3020249

I hope this helps, please you let me know if you need more input.

If my answer is helpful to you please click the ACCEPT button and leave a positive FEEDBACK . A BONUS would be encouraging. If you have more questions please feel free to ask. Take care.