Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

I have a fuzzy, unfocused feeling in my head.

I have a weird fuzzy, unfocused feeling in my head. I feel fairly good. A little tired feeling. ANd I get waves of feeling like, weird, it is the best way to describe it. It happens instantly, passes within seconds, and then back to feeling unfocused but okay. This has been happening for a couple days. I am a relatively healthy 40 yr old female. I am a stay at home mome (1, 2, & 16 yr olds), I am a non-smoker, occassional glass of wine or beer drinker (once, sometimes twice a week), I am 5'9", 199lbs. I have MS, but have not had an episode since onset in 2001. I had an MRI in April that showed no new leasions, and the ones I had were fairly small/no growth. I take low dose thyroid meds every day for hypothyroidism. Is this MS related or ?? Is it an alergic reaction? Of course, my real fear is that it is a stroke in the making or ....

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.

Have you any symptoms of dizziness or nasal congestion?

Are the symptoms more obvious if you bend over and then straighten up?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don't have any nasal congestion, and the symptoms do not seem more obvious with change of position. I can be sitting, standing, walking and I will get a weird wave of that feeling. I don't liken it to dizziness - It is just a feeling of ... feeling weird.

Thank you!

PS - It is that time of the month for me too - not sure if that plays into it. This feeling coincides with the start

Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
No sensation of the room spinning or of nausea?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not like a spinning room - It does remind me a bit of when we had a small earthquake and I felt it (my husband didn't). Just a bit out of sorts. PS - I do not use any drugs - recreational or otherwise... thought I might reassure you of that. Thanks - PS - I added a PS on my original post - this cooincided with the start of my period.. not sure if that is pertinent or cooincidence.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Ok.

How often is this happening?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a sensation of feeling tired and "aware" if that makes sense - just aware of how I feel. Then periodically..... yesterday was maybe 5-6 times, I had that "I just really feel weird" feeling wash over me. Today, I am just feeling that aware feeling again, but not the "I just feel really weird" feeling. It is very sudden in it's onset, and passes quickly. Leaving me feeling the way I do right now.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Hi.

As your symptoms are slightly vague it is difficult to arrive at a concrete conclusion as to the cause of them.

Raised blood pressure or an inner ear problem are possible but your symptoms are not entirely typical.

You have two options.

1.Present to your physician for a physical exam - this may make the diagnosis clearer.

2.Wait and see how your symptoms progress ( if at all.)

May I ask if you are feeling anxious or have any past history of anxiety?

Dr Jef
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS MRCGP
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have a history of anxiety, but I do feel fairly anxious. I am not sure if it is from being concerned, or if it is separate. But I do feel anxious. I had an especially rough patch of PMS with this period too last week.   And to complicate - I think I am starting a migraine this morning (I do get those around my period as well, hormone related migraines).
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Wow!

That's a tough combination of problems.

No wonder you are feeling a bit "weird."

Certainly we do need to appreciate that feeling anxious is certainly a cause of the symptoms that you describe.

Have you something to take for your migraine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do, I was just going to go and take my Maxault (10mg).

I can't tell if they are all related to one another (or a product of one or the other), or if there is something unusual that I should be concerned with happening.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Hi.

There is nothing especially worrying in your history.

I suspect , but cannot be certain< that they are all related to one another.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.

Are there any symptoms, that if I do experience them, I should see a doc asap??
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Hi.

There are lots of symptoms that merit attention by your Dr - but only a few on an ASAP basis - sudden onset or severe headache would be one.

If you develop vertigo ( room spinning) then you should get yourself seen.

Please let me know if I can do anything else for you.

Dr Jef