Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

fatty liver

I am a heavy alcohol drinker, and I am trying to reduce my intake. I want to reverse my fatty liver, approximately 1/4 fatty. I just had a full ER physical 9 months ago and an ultrasound physical with blood tests 4 weeks ago. No other more severe damages are present.

1) How long does it typically take to reverse a fatty liver if I abstain from alcohol? I am a male, 6'0', weigh 210. I am working down to 190.
2) In order to reverse a fatty liver is it necessary to abstain 100% from alcohol, or can I reduce my drinking down to 2-4 units a day? Currently, it is about 8-15 units a day.
2) Are milk thistle and/or Liv.52 good products to help reverse a fatty liver? I have been taking them for years but alcohol intake must be too high.
3) Once I reverse my fatty liver, can I go back to drinking reasonable levels, such as 2-4 units a day or is my liver prone to get fatty quicker than normal?

Please, could you answer the questions specifically and not give a copied article response
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor_Manju replied 9 years ago.

hello

How much you drink befor this diaagnosis was made?

Is there any pain over upper right side of abdomen?

Are you taking any opther medication or supplements?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Doctor_Manju's Post: 1) I have been drinking 8-15 units/day for 4 years.
2) I just had a drinking binge that did give me pain in my upper right quadrant. It is for this reason that I am concerned.
3) I take no other medications. The doctor put me on lipitor 3 weeks ago, but I stopped taking after 4 days.

Please stay online, I am just answering you in amoment.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i will hold online
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
Here are the answers to your questions...
Ans. It takes 3-6 months to reverse fatty liver changes in most cases, where cirrhosis has NOT occurres . Cirrhosis is irreversible BUT stopping alcohol can still make a differnece by not worsening the damage that has already occurred.
Ans. The faster you stop the faster you are going to get better. 3-6 months if you stop immeidately. Preferable to stop completely to get better
Ans. YES these are good products, however there benefits are not proven scientifically yet.

Several other treatments for fatty liver are being studied. However, it is unclear whether they are effective. They include:

• Vitamins E and C. Both vitamins are antioxidants, which are believed to reduce liver damage.

• Ursodiol. Medication used to treat <a href="http://digestive.health.ivillage.com/liverpancreasbiliary/gallstones.cfm" onmouseover="return overlib('Hard, stone-like masses formed from substances in bile, such as cholesterol or bilirubin, that develop in the gallbladder or bile ducts.Click the term for more', CAPTION, 'gallstones');" onmouseout="return nd();">gallstones, which reduces the production of bile acids. It is believed that they may reduce the level of liver enzymes in people with <a href="http://digestive.health.ivillage.com/liverpancreasbiliary/liverdisease.cfm" onmouseover="return overlib('Any disease that affects the liver and its functions. These may refer to damage done to the liver by disorders that affect many systems in the body (e.g., lupus) as well as diseases specific to the liver (e.g., cirrhosis, fatty liver, hepatitis).Click the term for more', CAPTION, 'liver disease');" onmouseout="return nd();">liver disease.

• Medications that counteract insulin resistance. Several medications are being tested in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). However, it is not clear whether patients benefit from the medications.

• Omega-3 fatty acids. Found in foods such as salmon and walnuts and in supplements, they may protect the liver.
Source

Ans. YES you could.. upto 2-4 units for men, are considerder reasonably 'safe'.
One unit equals a small glass of normal-strength wine or pub measure of spirits.
However do remember that there are many other systems other than liver that are affected by drinking most importantly the brain and these effects may not be completely reverible too.
Read more here
Hope this has helped,
regards
Dr. Gupta
And here
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
Ans. The faster you stop the faster you are going to get better. 3-6 months if you stop immeidately. Preferable to stop completely to get better results

*
Vitamins E and C. Both vitamins are antioxidants, which are believed to reduce liver damage.

*
Ursodiol. Medication used to treat gallstones, which reduces the production of bile acids. It is believed that they may reduce the level of liver enzymes in people with liver disease.

*
Medications that counteract insulin resistance. Several medications are being tested in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). However, it is not clear whether patients benefit from the medications.

*
Omega-3 fatty acids. Found in foods such as salmon and walnuts and in supplements, they may protect the liver.

Source

Read more here
Hope this has helped,
regards
Dr. Gupta
And here