Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

vaginal bleeding after car accident

We were involved in a head on collision where the combined impac speed was 135 mph. The man that hit us was killed on impac and we were flown to TGH. I am on Loestrin24fe. About 5 days later I got what I thought was my period, even though I didn't miss any pills. It has been heavy and not normal for me, plus it has lasted now for 11 days and no sign of letting up. My normal period is light and normally lasts for about 4 days. I had only just had a period about 2 weeks prior to the accident. Could there be something else going on? and if so, what?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 9 years ago.
Customer

Any bleeding that lasts 10 or more days needs to be evaluated by a doctor to determine the cause. If you are changing one or more pads or tampons in an hour or less, you need to see a doctor immediately as this can lead to anemia. Period abnormalities can be due to many things including stress, weight gain/loss, thyroid, hormonal imbalance, infection, illness, medications, polyp, cyst, amongst other reasons. The only way to know for sure exactly what is going on is to see your doctor for an exam and testing. If your doctor suspects a thyroid or hormonal imbalance, a simple blood test will show this.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
could this be an accident related injury? The impac speed was extremely high. If so, what could be the issue?
Customer

How long have you been on the pill?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
7 months due to anemia, no chance of pregnancy, my spouse had a vesectomy years ago.
Customer

I highly doubt that this is due to your accident. What I listed above are the most common reasons for what is occurring. It's very possible that it could be a hormonal imbalance, so you would need to see your doctor to have your levels tested via blood test. If you were anemic even before this started, then I would see a doctor right away of you are changing one or more pads or tampons in an hour or less, as this could make your anemia worse.