D. Baron, MD
D. Baron, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician with 27 years of experience.
4117028

Tooth Extraction while on Plavix

Do I stop using Plavix before tooth extraction? My Doctor says 7-10 days before extraction. Can Oral Surgeon extract tooth while on Plavix?Would like another opinion. Thanks.
It takes 7-10 days to make enough new platelets to stop bleeding after plavix is stopped. The gums are highly vascular and bleed a lot following extraction. The first thing that stops bleeding is platlets aggregating and forming a "platelet clot" while the clotting cascade creates the regular clot. Plavix coats the platelets and inhibits platelet aggregation. New "uncoated" platelets have to form and the old "coated" platelets destroyed in the natural turnover of blood cells in order to be able to stop bleeding by forming the platelet clot. That's why you have to be off Plavix for 7-10 days.