DrNowicki
DrNowicki, Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.)
Experience:  >7yrsPrivate practice, gen'l family practice;focus on treating the cause of symptoms w/natural meds
5583463

Ive been having a period for 18 days.

I've been having a period for 18 days. I don't really know why I'm having my period this long so I went to see my gynecologist. She told me that because I forgot to take one birth control pill this month, I've been having my period this long. She didn't give me any tests but told me that I need to take my pills everyday.

My question is:is it really noraml to think that having my period this long is because I missed one pill? Any gynecologists wouldn't give me any tests other than just telling me that I just need to take my pills regularly?
My grandmother had fibroid and my grandmother's sister couldn't have babies and I'm having a difficult time to get pregnant. And my hormone balance is not really good that I get headaches everyday, I feel dizzy and tired all the time. But my gynecologist didn't ask me anything about how I felt but immediately told me that because I forgot to take one pill, I'm still having a period.Anyway, please give me some kind of answers for this.
Thank you

Hi Connie.

Sounds like you are having a rough time.

Have you ever been tested for anemia? Has your thyroid ever been checked?Has this ever happened before?Do you have any pain with menstruation? Cramps, etc? Are you back on your birth control pills? Have you had your progesterone levels checked?

If you continue to feel lightheaded and dizzy it is important to see a doctor as you may be anemic. Your iron should be checked, and the bleeding must be stopped soon. There is a good chance that your thyroid may be contributing to your symptoms and should be checked ASAP. You should also be checked for fibroids and possibly endometriosis if there is pain with your periods. There is a possibility that you are bleeding this long after missing one pill as your hormones are trying to adjust. However, in my opinion, further testing should be done as well.

In the meantime, make sure you are staying hydrated. Drink plenty of water and/or electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatorade.

Hopefully this helps.

-Dr. John

Please check ACCEPT if you agree with this response. Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Dr. John,

Thank you very much for your fast response.

Well, I've never been tested for anemia and I haven't checked my thyroid, either. And I used to have severe pain during my period. But since I started taking birth control pills, I haven't really had a bad pain. But usually my back hurts a week before and after and while I have a period.

I think I'm going to make an appointment with a different gynecologist to check if I have fibloid or endometriosis, and also if I have thiroid or anemia problems.

By the way, I was really surprised that you mentioned to make sure that I should stay hydrated because since this weird period started, my lips got really dry and I've felt so dehydrated that I've been drinking a lot of water.

Anyway, thank you very much for your response. It really made sense and now I feel so much better that I finally could talk to a real doctor.

Thank you.

Glad I could help. Please let me know if you have questions in the future.

-Dr. John