Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

What does FDG AVID PELVIC LYMPHADENOPATHY MEAN IT SHOWED ...

What does FDG AVID PELVIC LYMPHADENOPATHY MEAN? IT SHOWED UP ON A RECENT PET SCAN. SAYS IT IS SUSPICIOUS OF A TUMOR. I HAD A MASTSECTOMY LAST YEAR AND ALSO A PELVIC MASS REMOVED IN A HYSTERECTOMY LAST YEAR.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 7 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

What was the biopsy report of the breast mass? What was the biopsy report of the pelvic mass?

Can you give the uptake level of FDG, do you know it?

Did you recieve any follow up treatment for the breast tumor, like radio or chemo?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had 4 tumors in my right breast..they did show cancer but the surgery elimated all signs of cancer.I had stage 1 cancer. I did not have any chemo or radiation treatments. The pelvic mass was benign.I do not know the uptake level of FDG..it does state a 15mm x12mm FDG avid node at the site of a previously seen 5cm pelvic cyst which appears to have involuted.
An FDG avid node means a node which is taking up a lot of the glucose used in PET scans. This usually means two diagnoses, an inflammatory node or a cancerous one. There is no way to say for sure what it is on a PET scan alone. The fact that your pelvic lump was excised and it was shown to be benign on biopsy is likely to indicate that it is also a benign lesion. The fact that it formed after a cyst could mean that the cyst is undergoing an inflammatory process leaving the node behind. There is also a possibility that it was not a benign cyst.

There is no way that a differentiation can be made for sure between such an inflammatory lesion and a malignant on on PET scan alone. You will now need a biopsy of the node. you will probably be advised CT scan guided FNAC of the node as the first step for investigating this lesion. This will give a clear indication of the type of lesion.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.