Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

How common is post operative staph

How common is post operative staph infection?
How does staph infection occur after sugery?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
What type of surgery?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I had a partial hysterectomy.
In all surgical procedures there is a risk for the development of post-operative infections. The specific bacterial cause and the rate of infection depends on many factors including site of surgery, age/health of the patient (diabetes and other causes of poor wound healing increase the risk), and even the region of the country, hospital and surgeon.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: This is a weak answer,however,wit out knowing my full history I understand your reluctance to be more specific as to cause. If I had a partial hysterectomy and am of child bearing age would not the practice of defensive medecine be the best course of action.
I'm not sure I understand your question: "...would not the practice of defensive medicine be the best course?"

If you could explain your case better, I may be able to give you a better answer. What did the doctor do (or not do) that you think he should have done?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I went in and had a partial hysterectomy...I went back in with a serious staph infectin and had a complete hysterectomy...how common is post operative staph infection in such a as this.
As I said, it varies - but this article lists a range at their hospital as 10.7% - 6% (after they implented some changes)

That would translate to about 1 in 10 to 1 in 16 patients.