Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years

how long does it take to bleed to death if you slit your wrist

Customer Question

if someone were to commit suicide how long would it take to bleed to death if they slit their wrist
Category: Health
Expert:  Judy replied 9 years ago.
Hi, J - are you feeling ok? What makes you ask this question - is there something bothering you? We can talk about it if you like - we are here for you and would really like to help. You could also contact the crisis center in a hospital near you and they will help you sort out some of the things that may be bothering you - Judy
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Judy's Post: thanks for your concern but i am fine. i was courious someone told me once that it only takes 7 minutes to bleed to that right J
Expert:  Judy replied 9 years ago.

You had me a little worried! I hope you really are ok.

It would depend on the depth of the cut and the blood pressure - the higher the flow, the faster the blood loss. A healthy person would tolerate the blood loss longer than an older or chronically ill person. For some the blood would clot off sooner than for others and there may not be enough loss to actually "bleed to death." I suppose it is possible for it to take only 7 minutes, but that seems a bit short to me!

If you need a more specific answer, feel free to relist and get a different opinion before accepting.