D. Baron, MD
D. Baron, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician with 27 years of experience.

I have a lump in my lower left abdomen with no pain and ...

I have a lump in my lower left abdomen with no pain and trying to determine if this is normal...I quit smoking about 4 months ago, and have lost 22 lbs within the last 11 weeks through increasing my meals in smaller portion per day and adding only fat free, sugar free foods as well as several fruits and vegetables (which I literally have NEVER eaten before and I am 31 years old). I also go to the gym 3-5 days week. I am currently 153 lbs, 5 ft. 6 in. and am feeling terrific. This lump is concerning me though it has no pain. Any suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  D. Baron, MD replied 9 years ago.
How big is the lump? Is it right under the skin? Does in move with the skin? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to D. Baron, MD's Post: It's under the skin and almost feels like a bulging intestine or something. It doesn't hurt, and it seems like I can push on it and it's sort of soft, but it doesn't move around or anything.
It sounds like it could be a hernia. That would be an unusual location for one, but it's certainly possible. You should have it examined by your doctor. If it's a hernia you may want to have it repaired.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What other symptoms would I have with it? Wouldn't there be some sort of pain associated with it?
That could be your only symptom. There isn't necessarily pain with a hernia unless a peice or loop of bowel gets trapped (incarcerated) in the defect and won't go back into the abdomen. The cause is a defect in the wall of the abdomen. You should have your doctor examine you. It's impossible to diagnose a problem without an examination.