Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

my urine smells strong..and smells like coffee. this ...

my urine smells strong..and smells like coffee. this is all the time...no matter how much water i drink..or what time of day i urinate. what could this be? this has been going on for about a week. i have no pain when i urinate. ..and no sense of urgency.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 7 years ago.

What medicines, if any, are you on? Have you started a new medicine or a new cosmetic since about 1 -2 weeks ago?

How much water do you drink in a day?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I KEEP A BOTTLE OF WATER W/ ME ALL DAY. I AM PROBABLY DRINKING ABOUT A QUART EACH DAY. I AM NOT ON ANY NEW MEDS. I TAKE ONE ZANEX EVERY NIGHT BEFORE BED...BUT HAVE BEEN DIOING THAT FOR OVER A YEAR. AS I SAID..I ONLY HAVE ONE CUP OF COFFE EVERY MORNING...BUT MY URINE SMELLS LIKE COFFEE..AND IS MORE YELLOW THAN I USUALLY IS. (NOT REALLY DARK..JUST A LITTLE MORE CONCENTRATED LOOKING.)

I am afraid that you are drinking less water than your reguirement.

Assuming that you are a woman of average height and weight, you need to drink at least 2 quarts of water daily. This will be about 8 glasses of 200ml each or 2 liters of water.

It is likely that you are sweating more in the last week (especially if you have been outdoors or your physical activity has increased) and losing even more fluids - this may be what is turing your urine more yellowish and smelling of coffee.

The caffeine in coffee has a very strong smell and can cause the urine to smell - but if you drink enough water, the smell gets diluted.

Another possibility is that you have a mild UTI - mild enough to cause the smell and the change in color of the urine but not strong enough to cause burning or urgency. Possibly the mld UTI and the decreased intake of fluids is related.

I believe that you need to increase your daily water intake to at least 2 quarts. If your urine still smells of urine, please consult a doctor for a urine test to rule out or confirm infection.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice