Susan Strong RN MS
Susan Strong RN MS, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of experience as a nurse, nurse educator and family nurse practitioner.

does your abdomen get bloated with a uti

Customer Question

my stomach seems to be bloated and i have pressure in the lower genital area
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Strong RN MS replied 9 years ago.

It is not uncommon to have stomach symptoms like bloating and sometimes some loose stools or diarrhea with a UTI. I do not know that we know the exact cause, but in my mind it seems somehow due to the fact that the irritated bladder can upset the digestive system. Everything in the body is connected after all.

It may help to increase your fluids, mostly water, if you have not done so already, and it would not hurt to take a liquid antacid like Gaviscon which helps to decrease any gas formation. You should, after six days on Septra, be starting to feel better in regards XXXXX XXXXX urinary symptoms you may have had. Be patient about the sensation of distention, it will resolve as well but may take a little longer.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX Please leave feedback.